Life is a curious thing. We may complain about it, wonder about it, and celebrate it, but it is an individual experience. Yours and yours alone. And although we sometimes don’t have a choice as to which way it goes, we do have a choice as to how we experience those directions.
We all have things to be thankful for. Our children, our religion, and our friends are big sources of happiness. That’s obvious. But what about the little things that make us feel good over and over again?
Life is a series of moments. Here is my list of 10 things that bring joy to this humble experience I call life.
- Laying in bed in the early morning under stacks of blankets, listening to the wind howl outside.
- Sitting on the porch on summer evenings, watching thunderstorms roll in.
- Listening to live music.
- Warm bubble baths.
- Fresh oatmeal raisin cookies.
- Back scratches — both giving and receiving.
- The sounds of a summer evening.
- The twist near the end of the movie you really didn’t see coming.
- The end of a good book.
- Music. In the morning. When I clean house. In the evening. Mood music, new age jazz, hair bands. Whatever calls me.
What you need to do is make a top 10 list for yourself of what truly makes you happy. Don’t write down the givens — going to church, cuddling your grandkids. You already know those biggies. Write down the things that give you a heart flash. Write down the perfect moment.
We all have them.
You may think you only have 5 or 6 things to list. You may have 50. It doesn’t matter. Take a look at your life and find what really washes you clean and write it down. Then look at it when you feel blue.
Do what you can to make it a wish list. You may have to wait until summer to check off some of the feel goods, but know there are plenty of things within reach that can make you feel good about yourself and the world.
We only walk this way once. Why not feel good about it?